Aboriginal Funerals – Arranging a Funeral
Choosing a Funeral Director
A Funeral Director is no different to any other professional person whom you may need to call on for specialised service, such as a doctor, solicitor or accountant. You should carefully consider their reputation and integrity, pricing structure and ability to service your needs. We believe a Funeral Director should always be conscious of your budgetary concerns and be able to provide you with the solution to bring together a special funeral that will remain in your memory forever.
The Role of a Funeral Director
The role of the Funeral Director, while professional, should always be compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of the family. If no prior arrangements regarding the funeral have been made and the wishes of the deceased are unknown, there are some major decisions that need to be made. Our role is to help you make these decisions.
Information Required by the Funeral Director
To register the death
- Full name of the deceased
- Residential address
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of death
- Occupation of the deceased
- Marital status
- All details relating to marriages
- Parents full names and occupations
- Mother’s maiden name
- Names of all deceased’s children, living and deceased
- Dates of birth of the children.
Regarding the Funeral
- Choice of burial or cremation
- The day, time and venue of the service
- Who is to lead the service – a member of the clergy, a celebrant, a family member or friend?
- Is a viewing appropriate?
- What sort of casket?
- Who will carry the casket?
- What kind of music will we have?
- Will there be a eulogy?
- What, if any, flowers would be most appropriate?
- Would you like to place a notice in the newspaper? If so, which paper?
- Would you like to arrange for people to able to make donations to a particular charity in honour of the person?
- What special things can be done to personalise the ceremony?
Aboriginal Funeral Cost (inc GST)
There are three main components in the cost of a funeral.
1. Professional Funeral Directors Fees
Approximate Director fees $2890.00 inc GST
- Funeral Directors fees
- General Mortuary fees
- Basic preparation and care of the deceased
- Holding of the deceased
- All necessary paperwork and certificates (other than the Death Certificate)
- Arranger to co-ordinate the funeral
- Registration of death with Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Ordering of a certified copy of Death Certificate
- Preparation and dressing of deceased
- Trained and professional staff
- Transportation vehicle
- Transportation of the deceased into our care
- Hearse on day of the funeral
- Attendance at cemetery or crematorium
2. Cemetery Fees
Approximate Price for Cremations $900.00
Approximate Price for New Grave Burial $1956.90 inc GST ( this varies widely depending on which cemetery )
Costs vary depending on your particular requirements, e.g. burial or cremation, new grave or interment only and choice of cemetery.
Starting Price from $690.00 Upwards
The difference between coffins and caskets is simply the design – coffins are tapered at the head and foot and are wider at the ‘shoulders’. Caskets are rectangular in shape.
We offer a large and varied selection of coffins and caskets to meet the needs of all – including simple veneered particle board, solid or carved timber, enviroboard coffins and metal caskets, which are air and water-resistant for burial only. Prices vary according to quality of materials, design and construction.
As a truly unique celebration of life, we can organise a funeral that is a little special. All our funeral arrangers think ‘outside the square’ and can arrange custom-built coffins and special symbolic gestures.
- Flowers (casket spray),
- Press notices (Funeral and Death),
- Certified copy of Death Certificate,
- Video of the service,
- PowerPoint presentation of photos,
- Single floral tribute and petals,
- Piper or bugler,
- Doves or balloons,
- Memorial bookmarks and
- Orders or Service booklets
Currently a Cremation starts from $5700
Currently a Burial starts from $5700 plus cemetery costs